Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Mason's New Favorite Books


Marc and I are wanting to teach Mason at an early age the TRUE meaning of Christmas. Sadly, some children are raised not ever being taught that and all they focus on is singing "Jingle Bells" and getting presents from Santa. That really frustrates me that so many children are kept from hearing about the birth of Jesus. Yes, it should be our focus all year round, but Christmas is just an extra special time where we can just really focus on celebrating the sweet baby Jesus.
Mason did not have any Christmas books, of all of his millions of books, so we bought him one at this little book store at the Lebanon Outlet Mall a couple of months ago, and then I bought a couple more at this cute little consignment store I discovered in BG a couple of weeks ago. I mean, I have NEVER seen a child love something so much! He carries 2 of these books around day & night. He just kinda scambles his books all in a pile in the middle of the living room, but I'll just be sitting on the couch doing something and here comes Mason with a Christmas book that he pulled out from the very bottom of the pile! No matter how lost these 2 special books are in the chaos of all of his toys and books, they always seem to be found. He'll just bring the book to me and crawl up on my lap without me even initiating it. It is about the sweetest thing I have ever seen. I am so blessed that my child is so excited to see pictures of Mary & Joseph riding the donkey to Bethlehem and of the sweet baby Jesus laying there in the manger. I think his favorite part of all though, is seeing all of the beautiful angels rejoicing! Mason runs his little fingers over all those angels' faces and jibbers jabbers away telling me about something. I just wonder what in the world is going through that little head of his?
These last few weeks Marc and I have made it a priority to have a Christmas devotional with Mason before we put him to bed. A few days we read out of this new Hank Hanagraff book that Marc had ordered specifically designed for family Christmas devotions. It's kinda a sight to see seeing Marc and I sitting on Mason's floor singing "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing" for him! He looks at us like we're crazy. And we really get into our singing! Then we switched it to us just listening to soft Christmas songs playing in the background while reading one of his new favorite Christmas books to him. His little face really seems like it's taking it all in. And then of course he starts pointing frantically at the angels and always tells us a story in his own little language about Baby Jesus. There are no words for how thankful I am for these special moments with my husband and son! Find something special to do with YOUR family these last couple of days before Christmas gets here, and make it a tradition every year!

Mason and Daddy reading the 2 favorite Christmas books... But wait, why is Marc making a sad face??

Oh, I'm done with this book! I'm gonna go get another!

Yes, these are TRUE blue pictures of us doing our nightly devotions after a long exhausting day! Momma in her Keroppi p.j's and all!

What is a special Christmas tradition YOU have with your family? Please share them with us!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...